We have discussed before the story behind Valentine and now it’s time to celebrate this day. Food is the centre of any festival, so preparing a special recipe for February 14th is mandatory. Surprise your valentine with these little Red Velvet Valentine’s Hearts cakes. They look adorable and taste even better.
Get ready to cook…
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 4 tablespoons red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 80mL Vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 300mL water
- 8 oz. can of cream cheese frosting
- Pink or red food coloring (for decoration)
- First of all, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. or 175 degrees C. After grease a 9-inch pan with butter and flour.
- While the oven is getting ready, mix shortening and 1 ½ cups of sugar. As a result, it will be light and fluffy then add eggs.
- Afterwards, make a paste of cocoa and food coloring and add it to the shortening mixture. Mix salt, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and buttermilk. In addition, add flour to the batter, alternating buttermilk mixture then mix it incorporated. Also, mix soda and vinegar and fold the batter, don’t beat it.
- Furthermore, pour the batter into the greased pans and put it in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Take out the cake and after it’s set, crumble it in a large bowl. Add few tablespoon of cream cheese frosting and stir well. After some time add some more frosting and stir again. Use your hands for a good kneading. Don’t add all the frosting at once, since it can make your cake too moist. This mixture shouldn’t be too dry hence it needs to hold all together.
- Put all the mixture in a parchment paper and press it into a ½- ¾ inch thick layer. Press it well, therefore it won’t crumble when you are going to cut little hearts out of it. You can use a rolling pin to make it flat.
- Afterwards, put it on a tray and freeze it for 30 minutes.
- Take out another tray with a parchment paper. In conclusion, with a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out little pieces and place it on the tray. While, put it in the freezer until completely firm.
- Finally, melt some candy coating and add food coloring than transfer it to a ziplock bag. Also, cut a small corner and decorate the hearts. Also, you can use the remaining frosting to decorate or make it into a sandwich by putting cake frosting between both cakes.
Enjoy this little pieces of heaven this Valentine’s Day as a snack, with tea or in a get-together.