West Virginia in the United States is a very friendly destination for foreign travellers. Compared to the other states in the USA, West Virginia is very safe and tourist friendly for foreigners. The region is absolutely free from infectious diseases, and the residents are well-known for their accepting and friendly attitudes. Given below are some of the best travel destination tips that first-time travellers to West Virginia should keep in mind.
- Language- Over 95% of the residents of West Virginia speak English. Spanish is the second common language spoken in the region. Other languages that are widely spoken in the area are French, Italian, Arabic, and German.
- Currency- The currency of West Virginia is US dollar like the rest of the USA. One US dollar equals 100 cents. Note that other country currencies are not accepted in West Virginia. Travellers can, however, exchange currencies at other banks. There are automated teller machines all over West Virginia, and they can be accessed 24/7. Credit cards are accepted in restaurants, shops, and hotels. Traveller’s checks can be exchanged at most banks and airports in West Virginia.
- Time Zone- West Virginia falls under the Easter Time Zone. It is generally 5 or 4 hours behind GMT as it depends upon DST or Daylight Saving Time. DST is generally into effect for seven months during spring, summer, and fall.
- Electricity- The distribution of electricity is the same as the rest of the USA. Electricity is distributed at 120 Volts and 60 Hertz. West Virginia supports Type A and B sockets, so visitors that wish to use other sockets have to bring along their adapters.
- Things to do- West Virginia is well-known for its hiking and biking trails. You can also fish, camp, golf and catch up with the Charles Town live racing updates here. There are several indoor and outdoor activities you can treat yourself to. River rafting is very popular here as well.
- Emergency- As a foreign tourist if you are into any kind of emergency you can call for help by dialling 911. The telephone operator will guide and assist you with your emergency.
Are there any foreign consulates in West Virginia?
West Virginia does not have foreign consulates. Foreign visitors are served via the embassy or the consulate located at Washington DC or in Pennsylvania.
Does West Virginia have an international port of entry?
West Virginia does not have any international port of entry. Border crossings here are not policed or demarcated. Foreign visitors should visit the website of the USA Bureau of Consular Affairs to check whether they should apply for a visa for entry into the USA. Citizens from Canada and Bermuda can visit the USA for up to 6 months. Foreign visitors from other nations can visit the USA without a visa till 90 days.
Therefore, if you are a first- time foreign traveller, keep the above points in mind when you are visiting the USA. For visa applications and requirements, please visit credible websites on the subject and apply for your visa accordingly.
Vacation Destination in West Virginia
The Shenandoah River meets the Potomac River at this little West Virginia town, which was the site of abolitionist John Brown’s attack on the United States armoury in 1859, an occasion that hurried the beginning of the Civil War. Harpers Ferry National Historical Park has galleries, authentic shows, and projects, in addition to around 20 miles of climbing trails. You can investigate the stones where the streams get and walk together to St. Dwindle’s Roman Catholic Church and the old burial ground on the slope behind it.
It’s an obvious fact that West Virginia is a standout amongst the best places to go whitewater boating. A few waterways offer world-class rapids for specialists, and others are appropriate to less experienced and learning rafters. The most acclaimed waters are in the Gauley River, among Summersville and Fayetteville, in the Gauley River National Recreation Area. Here, the 25-mile waterway streams at fast through canyons and valleys, giving a mind-blowing rush to experienced rafters; it’s no big surprise the Class V rapids are nicknamed the “Brute of the East.”
This all year resort is best known for its skiing, with three separate zones to browse, all with 100 percent snowmaking. With an 800-foot vertical drop, Snowshoe Basin’s 38 trails spread all experience levels, served by seven lifts, including a fast separable quad. Of Silver Creek’s 18 trails, 12 are open for night skiing.
The Western Territory Area’s lofty, the rough landscape has 1,500 feet of vertical drop, the most developed landscape in the locale. Soaks on Capp Run, structured by unbelievable Olympian Jean-Claude Killy, and Shay’s Revenge achieves 52 percent pitch.
West Virginia State Museum at the Culture Center
Among the free activities in West Virginia is visiting the West Virginia State Museum in Charleston to find out about the state’s way of life, history, workmanship, fossil science, archaic exploration, and geography. A standout amongst the most well-known of its 60,000 antiquities is a couple of dressed bugs from a nineteenth-century insect bazaar.
Well-structured displays of an increasingly genuine nature actually finish a way the state’s history, starting with stone and soil and closure in a cleared expressway. As guests advance from space to room as the centuries progressed, sound highlights increase shows and movies.
Curios incorporate ordinary executes and things, for example, a telescope that George Washington used to study land in West Virginia. In one area, you’ll get familiar with John Brown’s strike at Harpers Ferry, and somewhere else is a unique pilgrim’s lodge reproduced in the gallery.
Bass Fishing on the New River
Growing up angling on the lakes and waterways of Northern Wisconsin, we both were captivated when we discovered that the New River has world-class bass angling. Diverts out individuals from everywhere throughout the nation will come to Pembroke and invest weeks outdoors and angling the most established waterway in North America. Digression Outfitters, the incomparable decision for angling stumbles on the New River, runs an incredible activity and involvement in Southwest Virginia. Shawn Hash, proprietor and travel guide, demonstrated to us an awesome morning on the waterway and plainly not exclusively is angling his activity yet his energy.